Walker George Films’ first feature film is Young@Heart, a musical documentary about an extraordinary American chorus of pensioners who sing rock 'n' roll.
Directed by Stephen Walker and produced by Sally George, the film was originally broadcast on More 4 and Channel 4 television in November 2006. It was critically acclaimed and picked by both Time Out and the Radio Times as the best documentary of 2006. Clips have attracted well over two million hits on YouTube.
Young@Heart won the Audience Award for Best Film at the Los Angeles Film Festival 2007, where it was acquired by Fox Searchlight for theatrical release, the studio behind hits such as Juno, Little Miss Sunshine and Sideways.
The film was shown in over 200 US cinemas in the summer of 2008 and subsequently around the globe.
To date Young@Heart has the highest-ever gross in the US for a British documentary.
See the photo gallery.
It has won a total of 18 awards including:
- Winner: DVD Critics Best Non-Fiction Title 2009 (USA)
- Winner: AG Kino-Gilde (German Art House Cinemas) Best Documentary 2009 (Germany)
- Winner: Audience Award 2009 (Young@Heart), The Keswick Film Festival 2009
- Awarded the Christopher Award for Film, (Young@Heart), Christopher Awards, New York (USA), 2009
- Winner: Audience Award for I FEEL GOOD! (Young@Heart), Les Rencontres Cinématographiques de Dijon (France), 2008
- Winner: Audience Award for I FEEL GOOD! (Young@Heart), The Festival D’automne, Gardanne (France), 2008
- Winner: Alan Ett Best Music Award, The International Documentary Awards (L.A.) 2008
- Winner: Audience Award, Documentary, Warsaw Film Festival 2008 (Poland)
- Winner: Audience Award, Bergen International Film Festival, Norway 2008
- Winner: Audience Award, Ghent Film Festival, Belgium 2008
- Winner: Humanitas Award for Best Documentary Los Angeles 2008
- Winner: Jury Prize (Le Pari du Jury) and Audience Prize (Le Pari du Public), Paris Cinema International Film Festival, France 2008
- Winner Audience Award for Best Documentary, Sydney Film Festival, Australia 2008
- Winner: Impact of Music Award, Nashville Independent Film Festival, USA 2008
- Winner: Audience Award, Atlanta Film Festival, USA 2008
- Winner: Audience Award for Best International Feature, Los Angeles Film Festival 2007
- Winner: Two Rose D’Or Awards, Lucerne, Switzerland 2007 for Best Arts Documentary and Best of 2007 Special Prize
Superb…a film of incredible humour and pathos The Times
A crowd-pleaser in the best sense…this alternately joyous and heartbreaking movie will send you out of the theatre with a new lease on life Newsweek
I haven't cried this much since Bambi's mum got shot The Scotsman
Director: Stephen Walker
Producer: Sally George
TV Broadcast: Channel 4 (November 2006)
Film Release: 17/10/2008 (UK)